Locking the doors and windows doesn’t cut it anymore for home safety. Criminals have advanced methods to get into your home.
Regardless of if you live in a safe neighborhood or not, home protection is vital to protect yourself, your family, and your property.
On the outside….
Before leaving for an extended trip, secure the exterior of your home. A few moments of cleanup and a couple of upgrades can make your home more secure.
- Install or turn on outdoor sensor lights and timed lights to increase the level of visibility around your home. This will discourage thieves from breaking in because they may be more easily spotted.
- Don’t leave a hideaway key. Just don’t.
- Stop the delivery of your mail, newspapers, and subscription boxes. An overflowing mailbox, a pile of newspapers, and stacked boxes on your porch are dead giveaways that your home is unoccupied.
- Invest in a home monitoring system with video surveillance. This can be as simple as installing a doorbell that will take video when there is movement. Many of the new home monitoring systems will sync to your phone via Bluetooth and you can keep an eye on everything no matter where you are traveling to.
- Stow away any gardening or lawn tools inside so that potential thieves can’t use them to help them get inside your home.
On the inside…
You don’t need to be as creative as Home Alone when setting up your home for a long trip, but there are a few precautions that can be implemented for a more relaxed vacation.
- Unplug small appliances to protect from an accidental electrical fire.
- Secure your valuables in a locked safe or a fireproof box.
- Set a variable timer on your lights to give the appearance of an occupied home. Make sure your lightbulbs are new.
- Keep insects and rodents away by taking out your trash.
While on your trip…
Refrain from making social media posts about your vacation while you’re away.
Your beach photos will get just as many likes the next week and no one will know that you were gone. Let a trusted friend know your travel plans.
Ask them to drive by or check in on your home a couple of times while you’re away. Their checks will give you peace of mind while keeping your house looking occupied.