Remote online notarization has been a hot topic ever since many business operations moved remote in March of 2020. Monarch Title Company is proud to be leading the title industry in Missouri by offering remote online notarizations (RON) as of August 2021. Read on to learn more about RON and what it means for you!
What Is Remote Online Notarization?
RON is also known as virtual notarization. Historically, a person has had to appear in person to a notary public in order to have a document notarized. However, with remote online notarization, a signer personally appears before the notary at the time of the notarization using audio-visual technology over the internet instead of being physically present in the same room.
Missouri Law HB 1655
Missouri has been leading the way with RON since HB 1655 passed, allowing for online notarizations. Monarch Title company’s owner and MLTA past president Chuck Bowman, and other MLTA board members/committee members, along with Missouri State Senator Sandy Crawford, were integral to passing the bill. House Bill 1655 specifies that:
- A notary must be in the state and registered with the Secretary of State to perform RON.
- The Secretary of State must approve the software to be used for RON. For example, the software must have recording capabilities, have clear audio and visual components, and have security measures to prevent unauthorized users or transmission.
- The notary must have satisfactory evidence of the principal’s identity.
How Remote Online Notarization Works
Last month, Monarch Title Company completed its first remote online notarization! It’s a simple process that saves both the buyer and seller time.
- Schedule 15 to 30 minutes to meet with a notary using secure video conferencing software approved by the Secretary of State office.
- Appear and prove identity (either remote presentation of identification cards, credential analysis, or other means approved by the secretary of state)
- Notary files documentation and sends both the title company and the buyer a certified copy
The great thing about virtual notarizations is that they can happen anytime and anywhere! No need to leave your office in the middle of a workday in order to get your documents signed between 9 and 5. You can complete the process at work or find an online notary after hours. For more information about this process please contact Monarch at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 573-441-0725.
Learn More about Monarch Title Company’s Services
Monarch Title Company has been a pioneer in Missouri’s title insurance industry for over 20 years. Our services include (but are not limited to):
- Title Insurance
- Escrow Closing
- Refinance Closings
- Title Searches
- Property Profiles
- Construction Disbursements
- Remote Online Notarizations